Saturday, December 26, 2009

A Deciding Moment

I have come to realize that I will be turning 40. Despite the best face creams and hair coloring, I am aging. I was shocked and moderately dismayed to find a grey hair. I am only 38. Apparently I thought I was exempt from the aging process.

I work full time, am in school working towards a PhD in Business Administration, have two amazing children and am single. My life plate is full. Yet I have found that aside from the fulfillment I receive from being the best mother I can be, my life seems lacking in a true deeper meaning.

Now that I have confessed my partially empty heart, it is my goal to fill my life and heart, and hopefully yours as well, with purpose and satisfaction of sharing, growth and self realization.

I am vegan and have been since September 2009. I must openly admit that I am not a devout vegan. I do occasionally succumb to sacrificing my ideals for the sake of time or social obligations. I have struggled to find the ability to cook and live vegan with minimal time and limited cooking know how.

I will be sharing with you my journey to my 40th birthday (October 18, 2011) and in this time I have two main goals. One is to learn to cook healthy and vegan. I will share my modified recipes and all that I learn in this process. My mother primarily cooked using Betty Crocker's Cookbook and I will cook vegan using my mother and Betty Crocker as the inspiration. The second goal is to run. I want to run. Before I turn 40 I want to run (4) 1/2 Marathons and 1 full marathon. I don't run. I have never been a runner. I have tried to run and have do so only for short periods of time with a tiny degree of success. I used to joke with my brother (of whom is a runner and who I adore) that I can not run, except to the bathroom. (Making this personal journey all the more seemingly unrealistic!)

Ahhhhh, I said it. It scares me to admit openly my goals. But I said it. Its out there and I wont take it back. I am fearful that I wont succeed but I want to challenge myself. I have less than two years before I turn 40.

No comments: