Sunday, January 10, 2010

Day 6

January 9, 2010

Running:
This morning was running club.  I woke up a little early and couldn't go back to sleep. I was too nervous. I laid in bed and thought about why I am doing this. It's Saturday morning and here I am at 6:15 am fitful in bed when I should be soundly sleeping. What am I doing? Why am I doing this? I have to smile at myself. Why do any of us do anything? I guess I have something to prove to myself about fitness.

The real truth about being fit is to learn how to enjoy it and be fit and healthy for myself. I can blame my ex-husband because he would guilt me into excercise and eventually I resented him and exercise.  But even that being said, I must take responsibility for my own health, fitness and happiness.  I have to prove to myself that I can set goals and achieve them, for myself. People around us can do and say things that impact us negatively. But, as in  my situation, I can ponder and it and suffer for it OR I can choose to change my perspective. I am changing. Running club is change.

After embracing the WHY, I got up and got ready. I wore regular sweatpants and t-shirt, put on my running shoes that are still new looking and packed up my ipod. (love that thing while I exercise) I drove to the location and was right on time. The running club I joined is the West Coast Road Runners. There were a TON of people, all in their running clothes that breathe and look all professional. Needless to say I felt totally out of place. My outfot alone screamed AMATEUR. It was also one of those things where everyone seemed to know everyone. But I sucked it up and went to check in. We listened to Dan (the guy in charge) talk about the program and then it was time for the time trials.

I timed my mile last week so I had an idea of the pace group I would be assigned to. We set out on a course that was 3 miles. I ran the course in just over 42 minutes. I checked nike plus and it logged the course at just over 3.5 miles. Hmmmm. Honestly I am a little bit bummed just because the course was actually longer than they said and my time for 3.5 miles puts me in the bottom group. I thought I would be in the second to bottom group. The second to bottom group should have run the course in 39 minutes and I took 42. My time was spot on to what I thought it should be per mile but since the cousre was .5 miles longer that they said, I look like an even worse runner. I guess it allows me greater potential for improvement!

I stuck to my running plan. I started out with a brisk warm up walk, about 3 minutes. The balance of the run I ran for 4 minutes and then walked for one minute. The course was on the streets, through an industrial park here in San Diego. The sun was bright and warm and the streets were empty except for our group. It was a long run for me and I had to talk myself into sticking with the run plan. I didnt give up. I ran the plan all the way to the end. Despite my non-running clothes and my placement in the slowest group, I am thrilled. It is an achievement for me to have pursued the interest, signed up, showed up and stuck with it. I look foward to next Saturday and running with the group again. I have the run schedule for this week and plan on following the rules to the letter.

Cooking:
Upon my arrival home, my babies were hungry and so was I! We whipped up some cinnamon blueberry pancakes. They were fantastic and will definately make them again!



I started with the Betty Crocker pancake recipe and modified it to be vegan.  Here is the Betty Crocker recipe from my Betty Crocker cookbook.  I have Betty Crockers 40th Anniversary Edition Cookbook.

Betty Crockers Pancakes:
1 egg
1 c all purpose flour
3/4 c milk
1 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp oil
3 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
Margain, butter or shortening

Beat egg with ahnd mixer in medium bowl until fluffy. Beat in remaining ingredients except margarine just until smooth. Heat griddle or skillet over medium heat or 375 degrees.

For each pancake, pour a scant 1/4 c batter onto hot griddle. Cook pancakes until puffed and dry around edges. Turn and cook other sides until golden brown.

Here is the modified recipe to a vegan version:

Vegan Cinnamon - Blueberry Pancakes
Egg Replacer for 1 egg
1 c whole wheat flour
1/2 c soy milk
1/4 c soy creamer
1 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
3 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 tsp cinnamon
Blueberries

Mix all ingrediants except the blueberries just until smooth. Heat griddle to 350 degrees. Pour 1/4 c batter onto griddle and hand place blueberries into pancakes (approx 5 - 7 per pancake).  Cook pancakes until puffy and dry around the edges. Turn and cook other side.

Our recipe made 10 pancakes. The house smelled fantastic and the pancakes were YUMMY
Enjoy!