Sunday, March 21, 2010

Day # I'm still not sure

Today was a renewed effort to our eating healthy and vegan at home. I have not been to the grocery store since I'm not sure when. (maybe two weeks ago). We have been running out of everything.  It's not that we have been cooking unhealthy instead its that we haven't been cooking at home too much.  We have been eating out and any way you look at it, we have been consuming more calories, eating more fat and spending more money. I also want to mention that the food we cook at home tastes better too because we use good quality, organic food.

For breakfast this morning we made vegan french breakfast puffs. Yum!


I previously posted this recipe but so you don't have to scroll back to find it, here it is again. Enjoy!


Vegan French Breakfast Puffs
1/3 c vegan butter
1/2 c brown sugar
Egg replacer for 1 egg
1 1/4 c whole wheat flour
1/4 c flax meal
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 soy milk
Cinnamon and white sugar mixture
Melted vegan butter

1. Heat over to 350 degrees. Grease 12 muffin cups
2. Mix butter, brown sugar and egg replacer in bowl. Stir in dry ingredients, add milk. Spoon into muffin tin.
3. Bake 20- 25 minutes or until golden brown.
4. Roll hot muffins into melted vegan butter and then into cinnamon and sugar mixture. Serve warm



DINNER:

For dinner Justin and I made vegan pizza. We made the dough from scratch as well as the tomato sauce. We used vegan cheese. The pizza was quite the experience. I have never before tried to make pizza from scratch. It was quite the cooking adventure but well worth it.  Before I post the recipe I think I need to spend a little more time on the dough though to ensure it is easy to understand and work with. The dough is a thick bread-y dough called focaccia.  It's fantastic.


Justin and I not only had a great time spending lots of quality time together in the kitchen, but everything is vegan and super yummy!